Saturday, June 25, 2011

June 2011 – Top 10



Well, after Feed Me, I knew it was going to be a solid month for EDM. Unfortunately, I completely missed out on LA Riots at Mod Club, marking their first residency show, but thankfully I’ll be able to make up for this another time. This month saw a ton of incredible releases and some oldies creeping their way back into my rotation, so let’s jump in.

10. Rogerseventytwo – You Take Me Higher
A-Trak has been loving this song for over a year now, pulling it out at every event he can. Surprisingly, this track hadn’t been signed until this month, and who do you think picked it up? Fool's Gold.

9. Felguk – Blow Out
This track had a lot of buzz around it in the blogosphere, I know very little about Felguk, but this is someone you need to watch out for if he keeps outputting quality tracks like this. That electric guitar just before the drop, oh man.

8. Mord Fustang – A New World
A surprise, for me atleast, with this track. His rise to the top has been quick, dominating Beatport with every track he releases, but Mord Fustang hasn't exactly been my cup of tea. This track simply can’t be disregarded, vocals, build up, and infectious dubstep, A New World is right up my alley.

7. Ellie Goulding vs Daft Punk – There’s Something About Us Under The Sheets
Mashups and I don’t get along. This is an exception. Ellie Goulding’s vocals and Daft Punk’s chill out vibe mix perfectly. Baby making music.

6. Steve Angello – Rave & Roll (Nom De Strip Remix)
Nom de Strip has been a little bit of enigma, his releases are quality, and yet his popularity seems to not be increasing as much as I thought it would. This man deserves so much more credit then he gets. With releases like De Piano, Just Keep Crazy, and Without You, his talent ranges wide. This remix proves my point.

5. Sebastien Tellier – L’amour et la Violence (Boys Noize Remix)
This song has a special place in my heart, the progressive house feel, the hypnotizing vocals, the signature Boys Noize electro touches of brilliance, this song is it for me. I’ve been listening to this one for a very long time and will never get sick of it.

4. Myd – Octodip
Marble has been fueled by Surkin, Bobmo and Para One, all artists I am inspired by and respect. They push the boundaries of EDM, trying to categorize their music into a genre is near impossible. The fourth release from the label is from Myd. Many people have crowned Javier as the winner of this release, but Octodip just seems to deliver the goods for me.

3. Siriusmo – Hello DJ
Now this is an intriguing one. Siriusmo has recently released 42 unreleased tracks on Beatport, ranging from 2000-2010. First of all, how the hell am I supposed to run down all these tracks? Being a starving student sucks. Secondly, the different sounds from track to track is interesting, you can tell Siriusmo definitely has an affliction to experiment. This one’s a noisey one, be prepared.

2. D.I.M. & Tai – Ion
I know I know, my love for BNR tracks is kind of creepy, but seriously how can you not like what D.I.M. & Tai are doing? Lyposuct was absolutely huge, and Ion fails to disappoint.

1. SomethingALaMode - Versailles No Bara (The Bloody Beetroots Remix)
The Bloody Beetroots never cease to amaze me. I thought the evolution of my musical taste had left these guys behind, and then I hear this. The vocals are chilling, and the track just goes in HARD, while still using the piano and synthesizer to their full potential. I could go on and on about this track, just listen and enjoy.

And to end it all off, a freebie from OMGITM (Oh My God It’s Techno Music), if you aren't subscribed to this podcast yet you are doing yourself a disservice. Moonbootica recently took over mixing duties for their podcast, and did I ever enjoy it.

Moonbootica - OMGITM Podcast

They hit all around the EDM spectrum, tech house, disco house, indie house, electro, it’s all there, and did so while still being Moonbootica. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Deadly

No comments:

Post a Comment